Re: [AMBER] aMD Secondary Structure

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2016 15:54:34 -0500

On Sun, Feb 7, 2016 at 6:12 AM, Weinzierl, Robert O J <
r.weinzierl.imperial.ac.uk> wrote:

> Dear Dan,
>
> Thank you for your (speculative) reply. Sometimes it is good to know that
> the answer is either unclear or unknown.
>
> The only thing I was unclear about in your explanation is the effect of
> this selective boost (" ... if the average energy of your "folded"
> conformation lies below the boost energy threshold and the average energy
> of your "unfolded" conformation lies above it ...").
> Would this, in practical terms, imply that the folded structure is likely
> to be overrepresented in the trajectory, or do I have this concept the
> wrong way round?

​I would say you have it the wrong way around. Accelerated MD will
increase the representation of high-energy structures in your trajectory
(pretty substantially depending on your boost parameters). This is why
reweighted FE surfaces from aMD simulations tend to be noisy -- you didn't
sample enough low-energy structures before wandering off to high-energy
parts of phase space.

HTH,

BioMaPS,
Rutgers University