Re: [AMBER] MMPBSA ImportError

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2016 16:46:19 -0800

I cannot see the problem here.

su -
cd /usr/local/amber14

./update_amber --update

./configure gnu
make -j8 install
make clean
./configure -mpi gnu
make -j8 install
make clean
./configure -cuda gnu
make -j8 install
make clean
./configure -cuda -mpi gnu
make -j8 install
make clean

Is PERFECTLY valid. If it does not work then someone broke the AMBER install process and it should be fixed.

Nothing wrong with doing this as root if it is going in a global directory (/usr/local - that is owned by root). Sure one can do it as a nonroot user that has write permission etc and make sure world permissions are right etc. But that just complicates things for an end user and doesn't really gain anything if one implicitly trusts the AMBER installer.

Joe did you do 'su' and not 'su -' per chance?

All the best
Ross