Re: [AMBER] free energy of solvation of small molecules

From: Hannes Loeffler <Hannes.Loeffler.stfc.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 16:54:49 +0000

Dear Fabian,

what you could try is "absolute" free energy simulation where you
completely "destroy" the ligand. This means you mutate it into nothing
and does get the solvation free energy. Have a look
into http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ct400340s how to do that. The
SI of that paper describes how to prepare inputs with sample scripts.

Your ligands are very dissimilar anyway so computing relative free
energies by mutating them into each other may be problematic and
difficult to do. But you ligands are also very large so you should
carefully monitor if your free energy converges and also look into the
statistics.

Cheers,
Hannes.