Re: [AMBER] (too) high absolute values for charges using resp and gaussian

From: Jérémie Knoops <jeremie.knoops.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2015 14:20:14 +0100

Sorry for multiple emails, but I want to make it clear.

I first tried to use the RESP charges obtained with the iop(6/33=2)
iop(6/42=6) iop(6/50=1) keywords ("automated way"). The absolute values of
those charges seems to be to high, and when I used them, the bond lengths
between the central carbon and the nitrogens are 0.06 Å shorter than the
reference value or the bond length obtained by a quantum calculation

Then I tried to use the RESP charges obtained with the iop(6/50=1) keyword
only, which seem to be "well balanced" with the gaff and ff12SB forcefields
(for example the charges of the arginine guanidinium group). It's still
impossible to parametrize the molecule (the bond lengths are still more
than 0.02 Å shorter, and I get other problems with angles).

The absolute values of the am1-bcc charges seem very low in comparison with
the arginine guanidinium, but I can get a reasonable equilibrium geometry
with them.

It seems that I have to choose between a good geometry and well balanced
charges... What's the best choice?!

*Jérémie Knoops*

*PhD StudentLaboratory for Chemistry of Novel Materials
<http://morris.umh.ac.be/default.aspx>*
*University of Mons <http://portail.umons.ac.be/en2/>*