[AMBER] QM/MM Umbrella

From: Mahmood Jasim <ddfd09.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 12:56:31 +0100

Hi AMBER users,

I am trying to simulate a reaction involving the formation of a covalent
bond using umbrella sampling combine with QM treatment of the reaction
atoms. I have the SG atom of a cysteine residue attacking an electrophilc
carbon on a ligand. The distance between these 2 atoms is the reaction
coordinate. The windows of umbrella sampling are spaced 0.3 Angstrom apart.
The restraint file looks like this:

#
# 123 CYM SG 432 UNK C1 3.43
 &rst
  ixpk= 0, nxpk= 0, iat=1937,6803, r1= 2.93, r2= 3.43, r3= 3.43, r4= 3.93,
      rk2=0.0, rk3=100.0, ir6=1, ialtd=0,
 &end

and the md.in file looks like this:

&cntrl
  imin = 0,
  irest = 1,
  ntx = 7,
  ntb = 2,
  cut = 12,
  ntr = 0,
  ntc = 1,
  ntf = 1,
  igb = 0
  ntp = 1
  tempi = 300.0,
  temp0 = 300.0,
  ntt = 3,
  gamma_ln = 1.0,
  nstlim =10000, dt = 0.001
  ntpr = 1000, ntwx = 1000, ntwr = 1000, nmropt = 1,
ifqnt=1,
/

&qmmm

  qmmask =
'.1934-1937,6794-6848',
  qmcharge =
0,
  qm_theory =
'PM3',
  qmcut =
12.0,
/
  &wt type='DUMPFREQ', istep1=100,/
  &wt type='END' /
DISANG=RST-1.dist
LISTOUT=POUT
DUMPAVE=DIST_1.dat

The run was able to simulate the formation of the bond at the end and the
next graph represents the values of the coordinates across the windows.
[image: Inline images 1]

Is that sufficient overlap? If it is not, do I need to reduce the spacing
or increase the force constant to get better overlap?

I used the WHAM code by Alan Grossfieldto calculate PMF with this command:

wham 1.59 3.73 70 0.00001 300 0 meta.dat result.dat

and this was the meta.dat file:

DIST_1.dat 3.43 200
DIST_2.dat 3.13 200
DIST_3.dat 2.83 200
DIST_4.dat 2.53 200
DIST_5.dat 2.23 200
DIST_5.dat 1.93 200
DIST_7.dat 1.63 200

and the histogram I am getting looks like:

[image: Inline images 2]

I was expecting the histogram to look different, the PMF to go higher and
then decreases as it approcahes the products. If I managed to improve the
overlapping, will this change the histogrm?

Many thanks,
Mahmood Jasim
Aston University
UK