[AMBER] Pairwise energy decomposition

From: Sara Omar <sara.ibrahim.omar.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 23:28:09 -0600

Dear all,

I ran an MD simulation of a protein which has one non-standard amino-acid.
I used MMPBSA.py to calculate the binding free energy (with pairwise
residue decomposition). There were two observations that I did not
understand:
1. What does the pairwise decomposition of a residue with itself mean? For
example, what does the energy decomposition between Ser1 and Ser1 pair mean?
2. The backbones of the non-standard amino acid had zero energy
contribution. All the energy was that of the sidechain interactions. Why is
that so?

I would really appreciate your help and comments on this!
Thank you!

Kindest regards,
Sara I Omar