Re: [AMBER] mixing rules for various water models in AMBER

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2015 13:38:18 -0400

On Sun, Oct 4, 2015 at 12:30 PM, Conor Parks <coparks2012.gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you for your response. I understand that for the pure water case. I
> am trying to simulate glycine in water however. If I use OPLS or AMBER, as
> has been done frequently on the literature, my glycine water mixing rules
> are different. This solute solvent interaction is my source of confusion.
> Sorry I wasn't more clear.

​OPLS and Amber are different force fields, so there's no reason to expect
that they will treat solvent <-> solute interactions the same way. The
only thing defined by the water model is the water-water interactions, and
those are the same for both combining rules.

The only practical implication of the different combining rules here is
that there are *no* choices of sigma/epsilon parameters in Amber that can
possibly match OPLS. But that is not, in and of itself, a problem.

HTH,

BioMaPS,
Rutgers University
Postdoctoral Researcher