Re: [AMBER] vlimit exceeded and high temperature

From: David A Case <david.case.rutgers.edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2015 14:52:01 -0400

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015, Ruth Helena Tichauer wrote:

> I’m running a molecular dynamics simulation of a protein with its
> ligand and an Mg +2 ion in implicit solvent although there are tree
> water molecules in the active region as they are necessary for the
> reaction to proceed.

I don't understand what you mean by the phrase "tree water molecule". (I
first thought you meant to write "three", but this same phrase seems to
persist in many emails....)

> The structure has been successfully quantum minimised (GMAX=40, RMS=1.8)
> prior to the MD; treating only a few residues, the ligand, the Mg ion
> and the water molecules quantum dynamically.

This is not all that low an rms gradient; you might try more minimization.

> I tried to run the molecular dynamics simulation treating quantum
> dynamically the same region of the system as during the minimisation but
> got an error message saying “vlimit exceeded for step..”.

I don't see anything obviously wrong with your input file, so details are
probably critical here.

> I run then the same molecular dynamics simulation without the quantum
> treatment. It was successfully achieved but one of the water molecules
> had slipped away from the active site..
> _How a water molecule could go so far away?

We don't have enough information here: do you see anything that should prevent
the water molecule from diffusing away from the rest of the cluster?

> _Could the “special routines” of shake used for water molecules be
> the reason of the “vlimit exceeded” when they are treated quantum
> dynamically?

This seems unlikely. Since you saved a trajectory file from the qm/mm
calculation at every step, look at it closely in a program like VMD or Chimera
to see if you can figure out what bad things are happening. Compare it to a
similar trajectory without qm/mm.

...good luck...dac