[AMBER] Error: an illegal memory access was encountered launching kernel kClearForces

From: Parker de Waal <Parker.deWaal.vai.org>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2015 20:58:21 +0000

Hi AMBER deverlopers,

Just recently I’ve started to encounter the following error on both my local machine (GTX780) and in house HPC cluster (K80s) while using pmemd.cuda (with all patches applied) on both CUDA 6.5 (Driver Version: 340.76) and 7 (Driver Version: 346.59):

Error: an illegal memory access was encountered launching kernel kClearForces
cudaFree GpuBuffer::Deallocate failed an illegal memory access was encountered

The crash behavior has only happened thus far with during production simulations (sample outfile can be found here: https://gist.github.com/anonymous/ba6cf66147b7a68dc167)

>From the metrics I’ve looked at the system is at equilibrium. Additionally, in the past I’ve been able to launch this same simulation protocol for times of ~1 us without issue.

Has anyone, besides myself last year, encountered an issue such as this?

If any additionally information is required please let me know!

Best,
Parker