Re: [AMBER] Solvent accessible surface area (SASA) calculation in CPPTRJ

From: anu chandra <anu80125.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 16:58:51 +0100

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I just carried out a trial calculation of SASA using
molsurf and the results look little weird. My systems contains dimeric
protein - Protein A ( residue 1-290) and protein B (291-560). Using
molsurf, I just tried to calculate SASA of protein A in presence and
absence of Protein B. For this trial, I generated topology file for dimer
(protein A- protein B) and monomer (protein A) separately and try to
calculate SASA of protein A in both case with single frame in pdb format ,
as shown below,

trajin dimer.pdb # here, solvent and ions are removed beforehand

molsurf proteinA :1-290 1.out

trajin proteinA.pdb # here, proteinB is removed from dimer.pdb

molsurf out 2.dat

Unfortunately, in both case the SASA of protein A looks exactly same. I
expected there should be a decrease in SASA of protein A in dimer due to
the presence of protein B since both share an interface area which is not
accessible. May I know what is going wrong with the SASA calculation here?

Many thanks

Anu