Re: [AMBER] cpptraj gist: Eww energies

From: Thomas Fox <thomas_fox.gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 17:31:09 +0200

   Thanks to all who responded to my question...yes, RMS fit as the culprit
   makes perfectly sense...I played around with
   constraints, and one of the attempts was restraining just one of the
   5membered rings: without RMSD fit, things look good, i.e. no voxel with Eww
> 0, with RMSD fit, I get a symmetrical pattern of high energy voxels at the
   faces of the gist box. Looking at the picture is very convincing that the
   rotation is the cause of the problem...

   One reason I decided not to apply restraints (as suggested in the paper and
   in the tutorial) was that I wanted to see movements of the solute -
   otherwise I probably could have used 3D-RISM at a much lower cost...but
   Tom's suggestion how to pin down the solute without losing its dynamics
   sounds good.

   Thanks again,
   Th.
   Gesendet: Montag, 10. August 2015 um 19:54 Uhr
   Von: "Tom Kurtzman" <simpleliquid.gmail.com>
   An: "AMBER Mailing List" <amber.ambermd.org>
   Betreff: Re: [AMBER] cpptraj gist: Eww energies
   Yeah, Crystal wrote all the initial code for GIST and knows the
   implementation better than anybody.
   rereading the emails from the other person with this problem (which Crystal
   also solved), there was both a problem with imaging (not using familiar
   with an octahedral box) but also with the RMS fit. The RMS fit does seem
   consistent with the problems you are having. If you cut out the voxels
   within a a few angstroms (3.5+ about), where the minimum image makes no
   difference then you should be okay with the analysis you have.
   That being said, with GIST, as Dan and Crystal mention, it's probably best
   just to restrain enough heavy atoms in the system to prevent the
   translation and rotation of the solute altogether. For proteins, a
   technique which we often use is to restrain a few sites (at least 3 non
   linear heavy atoms) distal from the region of the interest (often a protein
   active site) and preferably restrain heavy atoms with low b-factors. The
   aim of this is to maintain as much important motion in the system while
   simultaneously preventing the translation and solute. We also tend to run
   systems with all heavy atoms restrained and with main chain heavy atoms
   restrained. We generally run all three (each is informative in its own
   way).
   Tom

   Tom Kurtzman, Ph.D.
   Assistant Professor