Re: [AMBER] algorithm for clustering solvent molecules?

From: Jose Borreguero <borreguero.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2015 15:21:09 -0400

I have created a graph for every frame. Nodes in the graph are the solvent
molecules, and two nodes are connected with and edge if the distance
between the associated solvent molecules is below a cutoff I chose. I have
systems with different solvation levels, some of then featuring "pockets"
of solvent molecules. These pockets are the clusters I'm interested in.
Algorithm networkx.connected_components
<https://networkx.github.io/documentation/latest/reference/generated/networkx.algorithms.components.connected.connected_components.html>can
find the connected clusters from a graph. To create the graph, I am using
MDAnalysis to obtain the contact map between solvent molecules. Regarding
time, it takes 2.2seconds to create a contact map for 4132 solvent
molecules, which I think is reasonable (unless you have many thousands of
frames)