[AMBER] cudaMemcpy GpuBuffer::Download failed - hardware or software?

From: Eugene Radchenko <genie.qsar.chem.msu.ru>
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2015 23:30:14 +0300

Hi all,

I have some troubles with Amber14 pmemd.cuda on the ASUS Geforce GTX760 card.

I basically use the system (protein+membrane+water+ions) and protocol prepared by CHARMM-GUI for AMBER.
I guess this is not the ‘right’ thing to do but I was not yet able to get charmm2amber and tleap to process this system correctly.
Anyway, it works nicely using CHARMM parameters in the CPU/MPI mode.

In the GPU mode the performance is impressive and the minimization and equilibration phases also run ok.
However, in the production phase I get seemingly random CUDA errors (i.e. at random and not reproducible points during simulation):
    cudaMemcpy GpuBuffer::Download failed an illegal memory access was encountered
Right up to the error, the energy and volume/density seem pretty stable and similar to those for the CPU run. I tried running short strides with increased skinnb value (along the lines explained in Lipid14 tutorial) but it did not help.

So, the question is: how is it possible to check if this is some GPU card defect or some subtle bug in the AMBER code?

Thank you in advance
Eugene