Re: [AMBER] Quasi-harmonic Approximation Using a Trajectory Stripped of Hydrogens

From: Hannes Loeffler <Hannes.Loeffler.stfc.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 12:19:54 +0100

Hi,

One more note: if you look at the formula for the vibrational entropy
you will see that this function falls of quite sharply with increasing
frequencies. Hydrogen vibrations obtained from normal mode have
essentially no influence on the final entropy despite their, typically,
relative high proportion to all other normal modes. Just look at the
output from e.g. nmode to see this in action.

When you do quasi-harmonic analysis/PCA you are typically looking at the
large global motions i.e. low frequency modes. Hydrogens should have
very little influence on this, maybe you could see some effect from
C-alpha only versus heavy-atoms only (i.e. including the side-chains).
Maybe worth a try to get a feel for it.

Cheers,
Hannes.