Re: [AMBER] Error with quasi-harmonic MMPBSA.py calculations

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 09:40:26 -0400

On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 12:26 AM, Abhishek TYAGI <atyagiaa.connect.ust.hk>
wrote:

> Dear Experts,
>

> Installed MMPBSA.py.MPI on gpu cluster successfully, have following
> questions:
>

> 1. Running on serial MMPBSA.py I am able to run the mmpbsa.in file with
> all the desired result.
>
> 2. I am able to perform GB and Decomposition calculations without any
> problem using
>

> mpirun -np 60 $AMBERHOME/bin/MMPBSA.py.MPI -O -i mmpbsa.in -o
> Final_rresult.dat -do Final_decom.dat -sp solvated.prmtop -cp
> complex.prmtop -rp receptor.prmtop -lp ligand.prmtop -y last5ns.dcd >
> out.log
>

> 2. When I run entropy calculations, the problem appears as in form of
> error "Error with quasi-harmonic MMPBSA.py calculations"
>

> input file:
>
> Input file for running PB and GB
>
> &general
>

> startframe=1, endframe=200, verbose=2, keep_files=2,
> strip_mask=":WAT:SOD:CLA", interval=1, entropy=1,
>
> /
>
> &gb
>
> igb=1, saltcon=0.100,
>
> /
>
> &decomp
>
> idecomp=1,
>
> dec_verbose=1,
>
> /
>

> I will be very thankful for the reply.

​Look at the _MMPBSA_complex_entropy.out file or any of the files with
"cpptrajentropy" in the name to look for a more complete error message.

Also note that quasi-harmonic analysis will typically require a LOT more
than 200 frames. It effectively does PCA and takes the mass-weighted
principal components as normal modes. And for PCA, you need at *least* 3x
more snapshots as you have atoms just to get enough eigenmodes. And you
typically need a lot more to converge your entropy.

I suggest reviewing literature on the quasi-harmonic approximation before
trying to use it (or interpret results coming from it).

HTH,

BioMaPS,
Rutgers University
Postdoctoral Researcher