Re: [AMBER] a question for hydrocarbons simulation using amber FF

From: Marc van der Kamp <marcvanderkamp.gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 12:12:14 +0100

Hi,

From the page you sent, it looks like that the 'special bonds' are actually
to define the1–4 interaction scaling factors for LJ and electrostatic terms
(i.e. SCNB and SCEE keywords for amber).

specifically:
special_bonds amber

"The *amber* keyword sets the 3 coefficients to 0.0, 0.0, 0.5 for LJ
interactions and to 0.0, 0.0, 0.8333 for Coulombic interactions, which is
the default for a commonly used version of the AMBER force field, where the
last value is really 5/6. See (Cornell)
<http://lammps.sandia.gov/doc/special_bonds.html#Cornell> for a description
of the AMBER force field."

So, should you use "special_bonds amber"? I would say "yes" if you've based
your force field on an amber force field. If not, I'm not sure if you get
any help here...
In any case, the answer is probably: try and find out!
You'll want to do some test with your developed force-field parameters
anyway, so you can see what gives 'best' results (closest to some
well-defined experimental or higher-level theory (QM) results).

Just my 2 cents...

Marc