Re: [AMBER] Possible bug in nativecontacts command of cpptraj (v14)?

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2015 12:52:45 -0600

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 11:52 AM, Samuel Bowerman <sbowerma.hawk.iit.edu> wrote:
> Is this a known bug or is this a deliberate action taken by the command?

It's not a bug - the map size spans from the minimum atom to the
maximum atom, regardless of what is selected in between. While this
can be useful in the sense that it gives a better idea of the relative
sequence distance between two indices, it is as you mentioned quite
wasteful for certain cases, where having each index in the map
correspond directly to the atom mask would be more compact. Honestly I
hardly ever use the map option so I never really think about it; I've
recently focused on adding features to 'nativecontacts' like
generating a PDB of important contacts with B-factors set to relative
contact strength (available in cpptraj from the upcoming AmberTools 15
release). However, it's a feature I may add via a future update (time
permitting).

Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

-Dan

--