Re: [AMBER] Per-residue decomposition energy MMGBSA.py

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 08:45:47 -0400

On Tue, 2015-03-17 at 11:52 +0800, maryam azimzadehirani wrote:
> That was really helpful. Thanks. I was unaware of R (effective radii) as a
> sum for all atoms. I need to read more on this.

Qualitatively, it makes sense. Generalized Born is a generalization of
the Born solution to the Poisson equation
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Born_equation). It defines an "effective"
radius, which is basically the average distance from the charged atom
(a.k.a. the *ion*) to the surface of the dielectric boundary (with the
solute being a region with a low dielectric constant and solvent being a
region with a high dielectric constant).

In this case, the effective radius will obviously depend on its
immediate surroundings, since those surrounding atoms will exclude the
solvent from a larger region around that central atom. So removing a
residue between two atoms will affect the interaction between those two
atoms through its effect on their effective radii.

HTH,

BioMaPS,
Rutgers University
Postdoctoral Researcher