Re: [AMBER] TiMergeError

From: <hannes.loeffler.stfc.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 08:27:25 +0000

I think you misunderstand how this is supposed to work. You have up to three regions to define.

First, the common atoms which are completely identical in terms of _parameters_ and coordinates. Since you have chosen to use leap to create the prmtop file and obviously have two full copies of your protein system, you may want to delete redundant force field parameters, almost all of them _except_ where the system differs in parameters and/or number of atoms. You don't have to do that but you can save potentially a lot of computation time doing this in your case. You define these in the first two mask of tiMerge and they must match in size.

Second, you have the TI regions which in itself can be comprised of two sub regions. You will have to define every vanishing/appearing atom as a softcore atom. That's the minimum requirement but you can define more, up to all atoms in the TI region. The latter may be interesting if one wants to play around with "full" dual topology. Every atom that is not in the softcore subregion will have common coordinates _but_ differ in at least in one (typically the charge) force field parameter. There needs to be a one-to-one correspondence of this subregion and you must make this sure by ordering the atoms accordingly in prmtop. (Technically you can also include some/all common atoms from the first region but there are more interesting ways computing zeros...). You define those two subregions in the other two masks. Naturally they can be of different size. How you subpartition the TI region is a matter of the input file to pmemd not one of parmed.

The manual describing tiMerge tries to explain this ("nonsoftcore" as you use it is a misnomer). I think the part about the free energy implementation in the manual is a bit confusing in this.

Cheers,
Hannes.