[AMBER] xleap segmentation fault when removing residues

From: Mickey Richards <mickey18385.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2014 16:03:42 -0700

Hi-

I'd like to report a problem I've been having with xleap. It crashes with
a Segmentation fault. The error message is

"/home/mickey/amber12/bin/xleap: line 19: 79488 Segmentation fault
$AMBERHOME/bin/xaLeap -I$AMBERHOME/dat/leap/prep -I$AMBERHOME/dat/leap/lib
-I$AMBERHOME/dat/leap/parm -I$AMBERHOME/dat/leap/cmd $*"

The frustrating thing is that the crash is not completely reproducible.
I'm running AmberTools12, under cygwin, on Windows 7. I start xleap with:

xleap -f leap.L.in

The leap.L.in file is simple:

source leaprc.ff99SB
x = loadpdb monomer.1.pdb
y = loadpdb monomer.2.pdb

The crash seems to happen after I use the remove command:

remove x x.2

And then I try to add amino acids to the N-terminus:

set x head x.3.N
part3 = sequence { NSER LEU x }

I've attached the log file from when xleap crashed (leap.log.2), as well as
when I was able to quit successfully (leap.log.3), as well as both .pdb
files described above.

Before the last crash (described in leap.log.2), there was a message in
xleap that might be a clue to what is happening:

Error: Atom has force field coordination 0
       but only 1 bonded neighbors.
       The cause may be an incorrect atom type, and
       the effect may be a crash very soon.

A similar message can be seen at the end of leap.log.2. That message did
not appear in xleap, as the program just crashed.
--
With best regards,
--Mickey Richards