[AMBER] DMPC lipids are slightly charged in lipid14?

From: Matthew Harrigan <harrigan.stanford.edu>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2014 22:00:41 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,

I've noticed that the total charge of a DMPC lipid (as computed by tleap) is not 0. I've created a pdb file with one DMPC lipid (see github gist link below), which I run through tleap as follows:

source leaprc.lipid14
source leaprc.ff14SB
loadamberparams frcmod.ionsjc_tip3p
mol = loadpdb dmpc.pdb

charge mol
>>> Total unperturbed charge: -0.000006
>>> Total perturbed charge: -0.000006

pdb file here:
https://gist.github.com/mpharrigan/2b43a3bb5dcdb9bd2c94

This may look like a rounding error, but it scales linearly in number of lipids. For a full size membrane system, it results in a noticeable charge; order 0.02e. Should I be worried about this? Why do these lipids appear to be charged?

Thanks,
Matt