Re: [AMBER] Calcium vdW parameters

From: Ken Merz <kmerz1.gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2014 08:07:38 -0500

Hi,

 Manuel sent you info on Pengfei’s parameters. For calcium we have seen some issues because in solution the coordination number (CN) of water molecules to Ca(II) is 8, while in may proteins the CN is 6. This leads to the metal staying in the site, but typically it recruits an extra ligand or two to give a CN of 8. For the 12-6 parameters the HFE set gives a CN of ~7 and this might be your best bet. For the 12-6-4 potential the CN is 8 across the board. Let us know if any of these work for you. If not, Pengfei and I discussed trying to develop Ca(II) specific metal site binding parameters and if this interests you please contact us at kmerz1.gmail.com and ldsoar1990.gmail.com. Good luck.

Kennie