Re: [AMBER] 4x GTX 980

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 18:01:29 -0800

No no no no...

Nobody use SPXP right now please!!! - This is for DEVELOPERS only!

Compile to SPFP as default - your performance should match the GTX780
numbers.

SLI has nothing to do with AMBER multi-GPU performance. - You should turn
off X11 and run the GPU Peer to Peer check and select pairs of GPUs that
can communicate at FULL speed using peer to peer - Note which motherboard
do you have? No single socket motherboards (except the CirraScale P2P
breakout system) will get you x16 speed across 4 GPUs - so putting 4 GPUs
in such a system pretty much limits you to multiple single GPU runs.

All the best
Ross

On 11/23/14, 4:32 PM, "Scott Le Grand" <varelse2005.gmail.com> wrote:

>Also you need to compile to SPXP (not the default SPFP)...
>
>We're working on this... This is a real curveball they threw us this
>round. The worst-case scenario is stabilizing SPXP and leaving SPFP as
>is...
>

>On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 4:31 PM, Scott Le Grand <varelse2005.gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>> Turn off SLI...
>>

>> On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 4:22 PM, Parker de Waal <Parker.deWaal.vai.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Scott,
>>>
>>> After putting together the machine and running the benchmark suite I've
>>> noticed that my performance is significantly worse than your numbers.
>>> Specifically, while running 2x cards in SLI mode the FactorIX-NVE I'm
>>>only
>>> getting:

>>> Interestingly I get the almost the same number when running with a
>>>single
>>> gpu.
>>>
>>> I'm wondering if I set this up correctly as I've never built an SLI
>>> machine before. However, I have noticed that having SLI on ($
>>> nvidia-xconfig --sli=on) disables gpup2p (according the gpup2p
>>>checker).
>>>
>>> Are there settings you are supposed to specify to get that kind of
>>> performance?
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Parker