Re: [AMBER] bond distances in amber

From: Niel Henriksen <shireham.gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2014 15:31:08 -0800

Hi Mary,

There are some known geometry artifacts in the AMBER force field for
nucleic acids. If you check some of the purine base atom angles, you'll
see they aren't exactly correct either (in comparison to reference*).
These deviations are relatively small and likely due to a compromise made
when assigning atom types from the limited set that were available. This
will hopefully be addressed in the future, but for now it is suggested to
proceed with the understanding that they exist, but do not seem to be the
deciding factor in the success or failure of the force field accurately
model nucleic acids.

Best,
--Niel

* Reference data:
L. Clowney et al., Geometric Parameters in Nucleic Acids: Nitrogenous Bases,
J.Am.Chem.Soc. 1996, 118, 509-518
A. Gelbin et al., Geometric Parameters in Nucleic Acids: Sugar and
Phosphate Constituents, J.Am.Chem.Soc. 1996, 118, 519-529
Also available here:
http://ndbserver.rutgers.edu/ndbmodule/standards/ideal_geometries.html