[AMBER] Fully random MPI error after updating CentOS from release 6.5 to 6.6

From: Massimiliano Porrini <m.porrini.iecb.u-bordeaux.fr>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2014 11:54:20 +0100

Hi everyone,

I have been encountering a weird (considering my poor MPI knowledge)
problem with sander.MPI of Amber12.

As the subject says, after updating CentOS from the release 6.5 to
the 6.6 one (command: yum update), I get in a totally random fashion
the MPI error reported below. By totally random I mean that this error
sometimes occurs and sometimes does not.

It must be added that the problem has been happening on 7 out of 9 blades,
all with
identical installation of Amber12 and MPICH 3.1 (with regard to the
remaining 2 blades,
I have not yet checked if this issue appears, but I am quite sure it would).

Any suggestion/comment to get this problem sorted out is very welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Massimiliano

Fatal error in MPI_Init: Other MPI error, error stack:
MPIR_Init_thread(467)..............:
MPID_Init(177).....................: channel initialization failed
MPIDI_CH3_Init(70).................:
MPID_nem_init(319).................:
MPID_nem_tcp_init(171).............:
MPID_nem_tcp_get_business_card(418):
MPID_nem_tcp_init(377).............: gethostbyname failed, vg02 (errno 1)

= BAD TERMINATION OF ONE OF YOUR APPLICATION PROCESSES
= PID 7942 RUNNING AT vg02
= EXIT CODE: 1
= CLEANING UP REMAINING PROCESSES
= YOU CAN IGNORE THE BELOW CLEANUP MESSAGES

  Error opening unit 30: File "../Dynamics_3/substate81_dyn3.rst" is
missing or unreadable
application called MPI_Abort(MPI_COMM_WORLD, 1) - process 0

= BAD TERMINATION OF ONE OF YOUR APPLICATION PROCESSES
= PID 7962 RUNNING AT vg02
= EXIT CODE: 1
= CLEANING UP REMAINING PROCESSES
= YOU CAN IGNORE THE BELOW CLEANUP MESSAGES

  Error opening unit 30: File "../Dynamics_4/substate81_dyn4.rst" is
missing or unreadable
application called MPI_Abort(MPI_COMM_WORLD, 1) - process 0

= BAD TERMINATION OF ONE OF YOUR APPLICATION PROCESSES
= PID 7988 RUNNING AT vg02
= EXIT CODE: 1
= CLEANING UP REMAINING PROCESSES
= YOU CAN IGNORE THE BELOW CLEANUP MESSAGES

Dr Massimiliano Porrini
Valérie Gabelica Team
U869 ARNA - Inserm / Bordeaux University
Institut Européen de Chimie et Biologie (IECB)
2, rue Robert Escarpit
33607 Pessac Cedex
FRANCE
Tel   : 33 (0)5 40 00 63 31
http://www.iecb.u-bordeaux.fr/teams/GABELICA
Emails: massimiliano.porrini.inserm.fr
             m.porrini.iecb.u-bordeaux.fr <m.porrini.iecb.u-bordeaux.fr>
             mozz76.gmail.com