Re: [AMBER] HID or HIE which one to consider?

From: Marc van der Kamp <marcvanderkamp.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2014 14:45:54 +0100

One of the (important, IMO) jobs of setting up a protein system for
simulation is deciding on the protonation state and most likely tautomers
(HIE or HID) of the HIS residues.
HIE is more common in proteins, I believe, BUT you should check for EACH
histidine which state is most likely.
There are numerous tools that can help you with this.

A non-exhaustive list of some of them:
pdb2pqr (just google)
reduce (part of AmberTools)
H++ server (see http://biophysics.cs.vt.edu/)
WHAT-IF optimum hydrogen bond network tool (see
http://swift.cmbi.ru.nl/servers/html/index.html)

If a HIS is in an important place for what you want to study and the
protonation/tautomer isn't clear from the structure, you may want to
consider trying HID, HIE (and if applicable HIP).

Hope this helps,
Marc