Re: [AMBER] QM/MM tutorial

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 06:49:52 -0700

Hi Bhakat,

Unfortunately making tutorials for all the possible combinations of
options would be impossible. We struggle to keep the tutorials up to date
as they are. In terms of what level of QM theory to use this is a research
question in itself and way beyond the scope of tutorials which are simply
designed to show how to use a particular method. I suggest looking at the
literature and consulting with some of the authors so you can make an
informed decision on what level of theory to use.

I also not that 'qmtheory' - without the underscore has been deprecated.
Take a look at the SQM and the QMMM sections of the AMBER 14 manual and
read it thoroughly. Note the variable that one is supposed to use these
days is qm_theory. In your case you would set qm_theory='DFTB'

Probably the tutorial should be updated. Volunteers please? Perhaps when
people update the manual they could take the time to update the tutorials
for the section of code they are responsible for?

All the best
Ross