Re: [AMBER] Trajectory analysis using pptraj

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 09:22:44 -0400

On Thu, 2014-05-22 at 16:52 +0400, James Starlight wrote:
> When I've tried to convert my amber 100ns trajectory to dxd using cpptraj
> it took about 1 hour :) Does catDCD or any other terminal utilities can do
> such tasks?

This sounds like a filesystem issue. You can also look into mdconvert
(part of the MDTraj Python suite) available here:
http://mdtraj.org/latest/

Or you can use VMD (which uses catDCD, I believe). I believe the DCD
reading/writing code from MDTraj uses the VMD plugin (which, like I
said, is the same as catDCD, I think). When I tested cpptraj and
mdconvert on my machine with a 22K atom system with a 6.9 GB trajectory
(100 ns), cpptraj took 53 seconds and mdconvert took 51 seconds.

> By the way also I have a question about proper loading of the trajectories
> to the VMD
>
> e.g using
> vmd ionized.prmtop md.mdcrd
>
> VMD recognize this trajectory as without PB box. Does it possible to fix it
> providing some flag to VMD?

vmd -parm7 ionized.prmtop -crdbox md.mdcrd

Other helpful flags for VMD:

-netcdf <netcdf file> (.nc)
-crd <amber mdcrd without box> (.mdcrd, .crd)
-rst7 <amber inpcrd or restart file> (.rst7)

In parentheses are the filename extensions that are autodetected (and
therefore don't need the flag)

HTH,

BioMaPS,
Rutgers University