Re: [AMBER] about GPU memory requirements

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 10:46:18 -0700

Hi,

Yes I agree with Dan 'in principal'. As in one should try to avoid
overclocked GPUs. However that comes with a caveat that as a model matures
the yield on the silicon tends to get better and so higher clock bins
become possible reliably. What this means is that the factory spec clock
actually slides off the bottom of what is available. E.g. for the GTX-780
I don't think one can buy a GPU that isn't overclocked these days. It's
more that todays overclock (on silicon that has had 6 to 9 months to
'mature' in terms of fab quality) is effectively the same as the initial
factory release clocks.

I hope that makes sense. So in other words I would take the highest clock
model available, step back one bin in terms of frequencies (this is
normally the next one down in terms of price from the same manufacturer)
and go with that. So what that means for say Titan-Black which was only
just released. Right now I'd say avoid overclocked models, but in 6 to 9
months time when you get overclocked++ as it were then the overclocked
version is probably a safe bet.

The simple test though is to buy the one you want. Install it and then run
this:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/708185/GPU_Validation_Test.tar.gz
(adjusting the shell file for the number of GPUs you have) and make sure
that all runs on the same model of GPU yield the same result (takes 5 or 6
hours to run). If they do then you have a good GPU. If it doesn't then RMA
the GPU.

All the best
Ross