Re: [AMBER] thermodynamic integration (TI) simulation: pmemd of amber14 vs sander of amber11- vdw transformation

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 08:05:39 -0700

Hi Ying-Chieh,

To add some more to what Jason said - accepting the fact that your
simulation parameters appear to be very different (are you definitely
using softcore in amber11 for example) this also looks to me like a case
of the results being hopelessly under converged. 600,000 steps is only
1.2ns which likely means your error bars on the sampling are huge. So a
good chunk of that difference could be coming from there. Try doing 5 or
so repeats of your AMBER 11 calculations with different random seeds /
initial structures and see what the variation is in the results you get.
As with any paper I receive where people do free energy calculations I
always ask them to do multiple repeats or ideally plot the free energy
obtained as a function of cumulative sampling length - the last one people
rarely do - I think because when they try it it is a real eye opener into
how unconverged the calculations typically are. You try this yourself to
see.

Take you 600K steps from the AMBER 11 simulation. Throw away all but the
first 10K and calculate the delta delta G and then plot that on a graph
where the X axis is sample points and the Y axis the DDG obtained. Then
repeat throwing away all but the first 20K, add that to the plot. Then
30K, then 40K etc all the way up to the full 600K - it's probably best to
script this. See what the plot looks like and it should give you a nice
visual idea of how the run is converging.

All the best
Ross