Re: [AMBER] about GPU memory requirements

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 12:20:59 -0700

Hi Thomas,

There is no advantage in terms of performance - it really is just the
maximum system size you can simulate. What you mention with regards to
REMD is the only other case where more memory helps you but it's really
not advisable to overload the GPU with multiple replicas. Firstly
everything has to fit in memory on the GPU plus there is all the overhead
of task switching which will likely destroy performance. The GPU REMD in
AMBER is really designed for running across multiple GPUs where there are
at least 1 GPU per replica. Annoying I know but it was a simple way of
figuring out how to make use of the monstrous GPU supercomputers people
are building.

All the best
Ross