Re: [AMBER] MMPBSA/MMGBSA issues

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 08:13:39 -0500

On Fri, 2014-02-14 at 08:07 +0200, Soumendranath Bhakat wrote:
> Dear Community;
>
> It is well scripted that binding free leads to funny results which varied
> publication wise for same complexes in different cases. Also the positive a
> negative contribution in MMPBSA is not well scripted in any Amber manual. I
> believe that Macromodule Embrace calculation from Schrodinger leads to a
> better binding free compared with ITC than Amber MMPBSA/MMGBSA
> scripts.Thats a different part and I think work is going on to generate a
> better binding free profile descriptors.
> I have some crucial question:
>
> What a positive and negative value signifies in the contribution of E vdw;
> E elec, G sol, Ggas ?

Nothing, really. The zero-point energy in force fields is meaningless
and arbitrary. Only energy differences have any kind of physical
meaning.

> Will be highly grateful if the community please
> explain what a positive and negative decomposition on these descriptors
> stands for and its correlation with Gbind and probable explanation in
> protein-liagnd binding favourability?

Well certain quantities tend to be strongly correlated -- the Eelec and
polar solvation free energy (EGB or EPB) tend to cancel each other out
to a large degree. For the most part force fields are compensatory -- a
positive vdW is often counteracted by a negative electrostatic
interaction, for instance, so I would caution against drawing many
conclusions based on individual components.

Composite components, like Ggas or Gsolv, tend to be a little more
well-defined physically as they pertain directly to parts of the
thermodynamic cycle used to define the MM/PB(GB)SA free energy. The
principle utility of MM/PB(GB)SA analyses are in comparing the full
binding free energy between related receptors or ligands to maximize the
cancellation of errors in that comparison.

HTH,

BioMaPS,
Rutgers University
Postdoctoral Researcher