Re: [AMBER] AmberTools vs. Amber: Installation practice subject to different licenses

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 06:46:41 -0500

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 6:46 PM, Sternberg, Michael G. <sternberg.anl.gov>wrote:

> I envision having to install AmberTools twice, once standalone,
> world-accessible, and again in another directory as part of Amber,
> accessible only to a specific UNIX group.

Oooh, Gaussian :) (only without the GPL part)

> I'd love to be proven wrong on this because maintaining two installs seems
> like a recipe for confusion at best, requiring duplicate build scripts and
> patch management. I looked at the FAQ page
> http://ambermd.org/questions.html but it's rather ancient and has no
> specifics on installation.

If your HPC has a license for Amber, then you can make it available to all
of your users (if you have for-profit users, like pharma employees, they
may need their own license).

See point 3 at the bottom of here: http://ambermd.org/amber12.license.html,
which should cover you.

In short, I've never seen a supercomputer center install and support
separate versions for licensing issues.

HTH,

BioMaPS,
Rutgers University