[AMBER] AmberTools vs. Amber: Installation practice subject to different licenses

From: Sternberg, Michael G. <sternberg.anl.gov>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 23:46:30 +0000

What's the best practice to differentiate AmberTools and Amber on a [Linux HPC] system subject to their different licensing requirements, i.e, install such that *all* users may use AmberTools (GPL), but only a specific group may use Amber?

I envision having to install AmberTools twice, once standalone, world-accessible, and again in another directory as part of Amber, accessible only to a specific UNIX group. I'd love to be proven wrong on this because maintaining two installs seems like a recipe for confusion at best, requiring duplicate build scripts and patch management. I looked at the FAQ page http://ambermd.org/questions.html but it's rather ancient and has no specifics on installation.

Thanks for any hints,
Michael