Re: [AMBER] protonation of protein-ligand complex

From: Adrian Roitberg <roitberg.ufl.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 16:22:51 -0500

Dear Thomas,

One minor correction to your email. If truly the pKas are 8.07 and 7.6,
then you CANNOT assume that at pH 7.6 they will be both protonated! In
fact, this is the nightmare scenario, where the pH and pKa are very
close to each other. This means that you are very close to 50/50%
protonated/deprotonated and any particular choice of protonation states
is by definition, wrong.

Adrian

--
                             Dr. Adrian E. Roitberg
Colonel Allan R. and Margaret G. Crow Term Professor.