Re: [AMBER] protonation of protein-ligand complex

From: Thomas Evangelidis <tevang3.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 22:52:41 +0200

Why not just run simulations of all 4 protonation states (if running
> constant pH is too much trouble)? That seems more defensible then just
> making up a protonation state based off some unrelated program.
>
> This is not possible for the following reasons:

* The protein is transmembrane and as far a I know AMBER12 does not support
implicit membrane simulations.
* Water molecules play a crucial role in ligand binding and transport,
therefore the implicit solvation is rejected.
* Conformational transitions in the transport cycle happen in the
milisecond time scale and hence I'm using aMD in NAMD (I have abundant CPU
time but AMBER is much slower that NAMD on CPUs). I
* It is not only the two residues in the binding pocket that are protonated.