Re: [AMBER] Simmetry problem

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 07:54:44 -0400

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 9:51 PM, Rodrigo Salazar <rodrigo.foton.gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm calculating a DNA doble strand fragment. The fragment consists in two
> complementary secuences: Adenine-Timine with Timine-Adenine. The problem is
> that the result is no symmetric when measuring its torsion angles and
> distances.
>
> Is there an option in amber to requiere symmetry?

No. Most biomolecules have C1 symmetry, and even those that have symmetry
in a crystal structure often lose that symmetry when subjected to
minimization or dynamics.

Also, unlike electronic structure calculations which can be _greatly_
simplified using symmetry if it exists, molecular mechanics calculations
benefit very little from such constraints.

HTH,

BioMaPS,
Rutgers University
Postdoctoral Researcher