Re: [AMBER] Why are sigma values of OPLS so big?

From: David A Case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 21:33:07 -0400

On Thu, Aug 08, 2013, egeh00 wrote:

> It seems that the sigma value in OPLS is much bigger than that in other
> FF. For example, the atomtype o in the glycam, gaff and opls are listed
> as below.

> Glycam_06h.dat "O 1.6612 0.2100 OPLS"
> gaff.dat "o 1.6612 0.2100 OPLS"
> OPLS_parm.dat "O 1.6 0.20"
> opls.info " O 2.96 0.21 "

First, please realize that the "opls" file in $AMBERHOME/dat/leap/parm
are *very* old ones, referring to the original OPLS united atom parameters.
They are *not* OPLS/AA.

Second, in opls_parm.dat, the values you quote are from the wrong nonbonded
section. In way-old Amber formats, a single parm.dat file could have more
than one set of non-bonded parameters. Look for the OPLS section at the
end of opls_parm.dat.

The opls.info file is (I think) pretty verbatim from Bill Jorgensen, to be
used in his programs, not as direct input to Amber. It is provided both
as a definitive reference and for its useful comments. The value given there
is sigma, whereas Amber files use Rmin/2. If you convert 2.96 (sigma) to
Rmin/2 you get 1.6612, as in the Glycam and gaff files.

...hope this helps....dac