Re: [AMBER] mask command issue

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 11:59:43 -0600

Hi,

I received your files and I know what is going on now. Again, the
given "without" mask:

"(:1-27>:25.0)&:COP"

means "Select an entire residue if any part of it is farther than 25.0
Ang. away from any atom in residues 1-27 AND it's residue name is
COP". All COPs are selected because as it turns out for every COP atom
there is always an atom in residues 1-27 that is farther away than
25.0 Ang (the entirety of residues 1-27 is roughly 32-45 Ang. across).
So to put it another way, even if you have a COP ion right next to
residues 1-27, there is an atom on the opposite side of residues 1-27
that is farther than 25 Ang away.

Therefore, for your purposes its probably better to use the "within"
mask and then subtract from 54 as you were doing. Based on the frame
you gave me this seems to give the results you want. Let me know if
this seems unclear.

-Dan