Re: [AMBER] Residue chirality

From: Krisztina Feher <feher_krisztina.yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 13:20:33 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Karl,

Thanks a lot for this detailed information! The polymer in my case might not have so much mobility as it is a crosslinked polistyrene resin and as a first attempt we would like to see if there might be any sort of interaction between the resin and the attached peptide. I have no idea if anyone have tried to tackle such system and, frankly, I am new to this area, so I should certainly read the papers first. Thanks again!

best,
Krisztina

 Hello Krisztina,

   I did an atomistic simulation on a isotactic and
 atatic poly(methyl methacrylate) (PMMA) melt using Amber
 (DOI:10.1080/08927020903536374). The force field used in the
 study was a simple extension of Glycam06. While intended for
 carbohydrates modeling, Glycam06 was originally developed
 and optimized using simple organic compounds and is fairly
 transferable. This extension was the foundation for
 developing a larger force field for modeling
 lipopolysaccharide membranes (DOI: 10.1021/ct300534j).

   However, atomistic simulation of polymer melts is not
 the best way to study these systems, as I have learned. The
 problem is in getting conformational sampling and the long
 simulation time needed due to long auto-correlation times.
 There are methods to get around this, including forward and
 back mapping between atomistic and coarse-grained models.
 Many of the polymer simulations are done at the mesoscale
 using coarse-grained models.

   When I was learning about this area, I found the
 research by Drs. Kurt Kremer and Florian Mueller-Plate to be
 enlightening. If you are interested in this area take a look
 at the articles and research groups I give below - they
 should get you started on uncovering more polymer modeling
 literature.

 Best regards,
 Karl

 Title: Novel Simulation Approaches for Polymeric and Soft
 Matter Systems
 Author(s): Cerda, Joan J.; Holm, Christian; Kremer, Kurt
 Source: MACROMOLECULAR THEORY AND SIMULATIONS  Volume:
 20   Issue: 7   Special Issue:
 SI   Pages: 444-445

 Title: Temperature and Pressure Dependence of Polystyrene
 Dynamics through Molecular Dynamics Simulations and
 Experiments
 Author(s): Harmandaris, Vagelis A.; Floudas, George; Kremer,
 Kurt
 Source: Macromolecules Volume: 44 Issue: 2 Pages: 393-402
 Published: JAN 25 2011

 Title: Fine-graining without coarse-graining: an easy and
 fast way to equilibrate dense polymer melts
 Author(s): CARBONE, P; KARIMI-VARZANEH, HA; MULLER-PLATHE, F
 Source: FARADAY DISCUSSIONS Volume: 144 Pages: 25-42
 Published: 2010

 Title: Molecular dynamics simulations of polyaminoamide
 (PAMAM) dendrimer aggregates: molecular shape, hydrogen
 bonds and local dynamics
 Author(s): CARBONE, P; MULLER-PLATHE, F Source: SOFT MATTER
 Volume: 5 Issue: 13 Pages: 2638-2647 Published: 2009

 Apel, U. M.; Hentschke, R. & Helfrich, J. Molecular
 Dynamics Simulation of Syndio- and Isotactic Poly(methyl
 methacrylate) in Benzene Macromolecules, 1995, 28,
 1778-1785

 Ghanbari, A.; Boehm, M.C.; Mueller-Plathe, F. A Simple
 Reverse Mapping Procedure for Coarse-Grained Polymer Models
 with Rigid Side Groups
 Macromolecules 2011, 44, 5520-5526

 Depa, P. K. & Maranas, J. K. Speed up of dynamic
 observables in coarse-grained molecular-dynamics simulations
 of unentangled polymers JOURNAL OF CHEMICAL PHYSICS, 2005,
 123

 Izvekov, S. & Voth, G. A. Modeling real dynamics in the
 coarse-grained representation of condensed phase systems
 JOURNAL OF CHEMICAL PHYSICS, 2006, 125

 Okada, O.; Oka, K.; Kuwajima, S. & Tanabe, K. Molecular
 dynamics studies of amorphous poly(tetrafluoroethylene)
 MOLECULAR SIMULATION, 1999, 21, 325-342

 Paul, W. & Smith, G. D. Structure and dynamics of
 amorphous polymers: computer simulations compared to
 experiment and theory REPORTS ON PROGRESS IN PHYSICS, 2004,
 67, 1117-1185

 Wu, C. & Xu, W. Atomistic molecular modelling of
 crosslinked epoxy resin Polymer, 2006, 47, 6004-6009

 Wunderle, B.; Dermitzaki, E.; Hoelck, O.; Bauer, J.; Walter,
 H.; Shaik, Q.; Raetzke, K.; Faupel, F.; Michel, B. &
 Reichl, H. Molecular dynamics approach to structure-property
 correlation in epoxy resins for thermo-mechanical lifetime
 modeling Microelectronics Reliability, 2010, 50, IEEE CPMT;
 Nokia; NXP Semiconductors; Robert Bosch GmbH; Siemens

 Yarovsky, I. & Evans, E. Computer simulation of
 structure and properties of crosslinked polymers:
 application to epoxy resins Polymer, 2002, 43, 963-969