Re: [AMBER] Residue chirality

From: Karl N. Kirschner <kkirsch.scai.fraunhofer.de>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2013 17:27:48 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Carlos and Jason,

  I ran into this problem when I was working on a model for creating a short strand of PMMA polymer several years ago. (Granted, not something that Amber was originally created to handle.) Since these residues were nonstandard, I built my own prep files and linked them together in xleap using the sequence command, as one would do for a peptide.

  When I measure the prep file's improper torsion angle around the chiral center using the measureGeom command, for one residue (PMD) I obtain a value of +119.5, and for the other (PML) I obtain -119.5.

  When I do the same measurement, but now one the short "polymer" (BEG-PML-PMD-END), I obtain values of -118.5 (PML) and -118.5 (PMD).

  Unless I am missing something, this shows that PMD had its chirality altered by xleap. Granted, that I may have introduced an error into the prep files, but I have triple checked them. Also note that if I were to save the BEG-PML-PMD-END as a pdb file, and opened it up in an external viewer, there are incorrect bonds added to the molecule due to inappropriate short distances-- so I know that the prep files are not conformationally optimized for the sequence command. Not really knowing the leap code, I still didn't expect the change in chirality.

  All of this was done using: "Latest patch applied to AmberTools12: 31". The leap input and part of the log file are included below. If you see something obvious in my thoughts or the leap input, I would appreciate hearing it. (I personally do not need this example to be solved, and I use it only for demonstrating what I encountered before.)

Bests,
Karl

leap input:
-----------
logfile leap.log
source leaprc.ff99SB

loadAmberPrep BEG.prep
loadAmberPrep PML.prep
loadAmberPrep PMD.prep
loadAmberPrep END.prep

poly = sequence {BEG PML PMD END}

measureGeom PML.1.C4 PML.1.C5 PML.1.C3 PML.1.C2
measureGeom PMD.1.C4 PMD.1.C5 PMD.1.C3 PMD.1.C2

measureGeom poly.2.C4 poly.2.C5 poly.2.C3 poly.2.C2
measureGeom poly.3.C4 poly.3.C5 poly.3.C3 poly.3.C2

leap.log:
---------
> measureGeom PML.1.C4 PML.1.C5 PML.1.C3 PML.1.C2
Torsion angle: -119.48 degrees
> measureGeom PMD.1.C4 PMD.1.C5 PMD.1.C3 PMD.1.C2
Torsion angle: 119.50 degrees

> measureGeom poly.2.C4 poly.2.C5 poly.2.C3 poly.2.C2
Torsion angle: -118.47 degrees