Re: [AMBER] DihedralSearch.cpp:53: error: unknown escape sequence '\*'

From: Jan-Philip Gehrcke <jgehrcke.googlemail.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2013 16:40:13 +0200

On 04.07.2013 15:56, Marek Maly wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> just for the curiosity.
>
> Which is the easest way to upgrade gcc on RedHat like distributions
> (in my case CentOS).
>
> When I try to use yum for those purposes e.g. using commands
>
> yum upgrade
>
> OR
>
> yum install gcc.x86_64
>
> etc.
>

> I get just gcc-4.4.7.

Yes, and this is just right.

You should never just change ("upgrade") the default compilers
corresponding to your linux distribution release, i.e. by default the
command `gcc` must point to the native compiler of your system. Let your
packaging system handle updates (bug fixes) of this compiler (as done by
yum install ...). Never change something manually here.

> So maybe I have to download some proper gcc/yum repository which can yum
> use to
> download and install the latest stable gcc ?

Going through the standard repository for your linux distribution most
certainly does not work, because the standard repositories only have
*one* compiler version for you (gcc-4.4.7). The maintainers of the
specific release version of your distribution make a huge effort to make
sure that all source codes corresponding to all software packages
belonging to this distribution are compatible with the one native
compiler of that distribution. Guaranteeing this for multiple compiler
versions would not make sense and dramatically increase this effort.

Any other compiler you want to use beside the native one must be
installed in a way so that it does not interfere with the native
compiler (remember: by default the command `gcc` must point to the
native compiler of your system).

There are multiple ways to do so (as explained this does not work
through the standard repos).

For example, you could install a compiler suite manually at a custom
location and create some kind of setup script that changes the
environment variables when executed (after executing this, it is fine
when `gcc` points to a non-native compiler then). For Ubuntu, there also
are third party repositories created by other users. You can add such a
repository to aptitude and install e.g. gcc 4.7 although gcc 4.4 would
be the native one. Also in such a case the native compiler won't be
replaced, the new one will have executables with distinct names, e.g.
`gcc-47`. I don't know if there are any such custom repositories for
your distribution.

Hope that helps,

JP