[AMBER] Difficulty compiling amber12/ambertools13

From: Hunter Brown <bassoongoon.earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 16:41:11 -0600 (GMT-06:00)

Hello, I am having difficulty compiling amber12 and ambertools 13. I am a windows user, so I am working via Cygwin.

When I try to apply patches I get this message:

PatchingError: .patches/AmberTools13_Unapplied_Patches/update.4 failed to apply. No changes made from this patch
Automatic patching failed! Check the errors before re-configuring

When I try to skip the patches using './configure cygwin' I get this message:

NOT updating your tree and continuing anyway.
Could not find the X11 libraries; you may need to edit config.h
   to set the XHOME and XLIBS variables.
Searching for python2... Found python2.7: /usr/bin/python2.7
Error: Architecture/compiler 'cygwin' is not supported!
    Type './configure -help' for options.
Configure failed due to the errors above!

I have tried using './configure gnu -cygwin' as well. The patches still fail to apply. If I try to skip the patches with './configure gnu -cygwin' I get this message (by the way, the single quotes are to make the commands I enter stand out from the rest of my text. I did not actually put single quotes into my Cygwin bash) :

NOT updating your tree and continuing anyway.
Error: unknown compiler: gnu
    Type './configure -help' for options.
Configure failed due to the errors above!

If somebody could help me get that sorted out I would really appreciate it. I need to learn Amber/Ambertools so that I can start running simulations. Because I have had difficulty configuring/compiling Amber, I cannot even reach the stage where I can begin learning how to use it; its frustrating!

Anyways, thanks for reading and I hope that someone can be of assistance to me.

-Hunter