Re: [AMBER] MMPBSA.py: ECAVITY / ENPOLAR discrepancy

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 09:32:20 -0400

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 9:05 AM, Jan-Philip Gehrcke <jgehrcke.googlemail.com
> wrote:

> Thanks for your answer, Jason. Indeed, I observe "... so use_sav is
> reset to 0." in the mdout files with use_sander=1 (why isn't that
> printed when using mmpbsa_py_energy? isn't that calling the same PBSA
> routines?). So use_sav most probably is not the source of the discrepancy.

I think what's happening here is that, while the C code in NAB redirects
stdout to a file unit, the "write(6" statements in the PBSA source code
continues to dump to stdout instead of 'nabout'.

As a result, stdout becomes quite messy, so MMPBSA.py captures and
suppresses that output, for lack of a better idea about what to do.

> So, while we are waiting for someone to comment on this who is more
> familiar with PBSA, I can add that the observations made in
> http://archive.ambermd.org/201304/0131.html could be of the same origin.

It's possible, but the OP in that thread uses APBS to do the PB
calculations, so they're more likely unrelated... Do you get similar
answers with sander vs. nab?

Thanks!

Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida