Re: [AMBER] Print pressure tensor components of NVT ensemble by running pmemd.cuda.MPI

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 16:48:57 -0700

Hi Wei,

Unfortunately not. The virial is NOT calculated for NVT (or NVE)
simulations in pmemd or pmemd.cuda (forget the pmemd.cuda.MPI I really
don't understand why anybody wants to complicate their life by running in
parallel across multiple GPUs for only a 20% speedup at best). Sander
computes it because sander is slow and not very well optimized. Your
options are:

1) Use sander.

2) Run with NPT.

3) Run with NPT and set the pressure relaxation constant VERY long (taup).

4) Modify the fortran code and run with pmemd.

5) Modify the fortran code AND the cuda code and run with pmemd.cuda

6) If you are insane do 5 but also modify all the mpi stuff for
pmemd.cuda.MPI.

Probably 3 is your easiest option if you aren't worried about getting NVT
performance.

Note, there will be a patch coming very soon that tweaks the constant
pressure algorithm slightly for the GPU code so for specifically
calculating surface tensions you might want to stick with the CPU code
until that patch is released since such measurements will be very
sensitive to the virial.

All the best
Ross