Re: [AMBER] large difference of nonpolar solvation free energy using MMPBSA.py in AmberTools1.5 or AmberTools12

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 21:45:45 -0400

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 9:29 PM, dbaogen <dbaogen.gmail.com> wrote:

> **
> Hi Jason,
>
> Thanks for your reply. The nonpolar solvation energies are
> -3.4672 and -31.1906 kcal/mol using " &pb istrng=0.1," in AmberTools 1.5and "
> &pb istrng=0.1, sander_apbs=1,radiopt=0", respectively.
>
> Does it mean that the nopolar solvation energies are both
> calculated by the equation G(np) = surften*SASA+offset in the above two
> cases according to your email? Thanks!

I believe so. The SASAs will be computed differently, though (and the
default surface tension term may be different, I'm not sure). But I do not
use sander.APBS regularly, so you should check the
_MMPBSA_complex_pb.mdout.0 file (and related files) to get more details.

All the best,
Jason

Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida