Re: [AMBER] large difference of nonpolar solvation free energy using MMPBSA.py in AmberTools1.5 or AmberTools12

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 17:56:17 -0400

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 3:24 AM, dbaogen <dbaogen.gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I have met a problem in calculation binding free energy using
> MMPBSA.py script in two versions of AmberTools. one is Amber 11 combined
> with AmberTools 1.5. The nonpolar solvation energy (ECAVITY ) is -3.4672
> kcal/mol. And the input file is as follow:
>
> MMPBSA input file for Amber 11 and AmberTools 1.5
> &general
> startframe=1, endframe=100, interval=1,
> keep_files=0,strip_mdcrd=0,verbose=1,
> /
> &pb
> istrng=0.1,
> /
> Searching in the AmberTools 1.5 Manual, the nonpolar solvation energy is
> calculated by using the equation G(np) = SurfTen*SASA+SurOFF = G(cavity)
> under the above parameter settings.
>
> The other is Amber 11 and AmberTools 12. The input file:
>
> MMPBSA input file for Amber 11 and AmberTools 12
> &general
> startframe=1, endframe=100, interval=1,
> keep_files=2,search_path=1,verbose=1,
> /
> &pb
> istrng=0.1, sander_apbs=1,radiopt=0
> /
> In this condition, according to the manual, the nonpolar solvation
> free energy is calculated by using G(np)=G(disp)+G(cavity), and the value
> (ENPOLAR) is -31.1906 kcal/mol. In addition, the AmberTools 12 manual
> mentions that the default parameters must be INP=2 with radiopt =1.
> whether did it mean that I set the wrong parameters for MMPBSA.py script?

This is not right, I don't think. The dispersion/cavitation decomposition
of the non-polar solvation free energy is only available via the PBSA
source code, _not_ via sander.APBS. Therefore, I think that the surface
area term here is the simple term G(np) = surften*SASA+offset.

> If I changed the "radiopt" to 1, the error message is "CalcError:
> sander.APBS failed with prmtop" when sander_apbs is set to 1. If the
> parameter radiopt=1 and sander_apbs=0, the error message is " PB Bomb in
> pb_aaradi(): No radius assigned for atom 3 C5' CI ". The program is
> normally ended only when radiopt is set to 0.

You must either add the missing atom types to the PBSA source code and
recompile, or settle with the inp=1 model for non-polar solvation free
energy term.

  Would you like to give me some help about large difference of nonpolar
> solvation energy and radii selection of nonpolar energy calculation? Thanks
> in advance!

I didn't see any numbers, and have no idea what differences you are
referring to. Note that inp=2 requires AmberTools to be fully patched (at
least up to bugfix.27) in order to get the correct values for the
dispersion energy.

All the best,

Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida