Re: [AMBER] Problem with the amber12 compilation

From: Jan-Philip Gehrcke <jgehrcke.googlemail.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2013 12:34:05 +0200

Hello!

On 08.04.2013 11:36, James Starlight wrote:
> Dear Amber users!
>
> Ussing gcc 4.7 and gfortran-4.7 I have problems with the compilation of tha
> amber-tools- 12
>
> Checking for updates...
> AmberTools12 is up to date
>
> Searching for python2... Found python2.7: /usr/bin/python2.7
>
> Obtaining the gnu suite version:
> gcc -v
> The version is 4.6.3

It is already worrying that you're saying that you use gcc / gfortran
4.7 and here the configure script found 4.6.3. Something did not work
the way you wanted it to work. I guess you tried to set up the 4.7
version from a source release while your system's native gcc is 4.6.3.
Things went pear-shaped. Especially if you are not entirely sure what
you are doing, you should only use the standard system compilers
installable from the corresponding repositories.

> Testing the gcc compiler:
> gcc -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -o testp testp.c
> OK
>
> Testing the gfortran compiler:
> gfortran -O0 -o testp testp.f
> OK
>
> Testing mixed C/Fortran compilation:
> gcc -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -c -o testp.c.o
> testp.c
> gfortran -O0 -c -o testp.f.o testp.f
> gcc -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -o testp testp.c.o
> testp.f.o -lgfortran -w
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgfortran

This means that you have managed to create an inconsistent gcc/gfortran
installation. Try to cleanly remove the results of your effort to
install the 4.7 version, and make sure that the "gcc" and "gfortran"
packages are installed with your system's package manager. Which one
that is depends on your Linux distribution.