Re: [AMBER] two fold difference between MMPBSA.py and NAMDenergy plugin in vmd 1.9.1

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 07:23:10 -0500

You appear to be selecting 2 residues in VMD -- you are calculating the
pairwise interaction between residues 917/919 and residue 918. Amber does
not do this. The value you're getting from NAMD (I presume!), is a
double-sum over all atoms i, j where i is in residue 917 or 919 and j is in
residue 918. Amber will do the pairwise interaction between individual
residues only, so I would expect the NAMD results to match the Amber
results if you added the pairwise 917-918 and 919-918 energies together.

I think this is where your factor of 2 is coming from -- you have roughly
twice as many interactions being counted.

HTH,
Jason

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 1:10 AM, dbaogen <dbaogen.gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I want to calculate the pairwise interaction energy (VDW and
> Electrostatic) of two residues. In AMBER 11 software, MMPBSA.py script is
> used by using "idecomp=4" option in the input file. And In VMD 1.9.1
> software, NAMDenergy plugin is used, and the force field parameter is also
> amber type. The detail information of parameter settings is as follow. But
> for the calculated results, the value of interaction energy (VDW and
> Electrostatic ) of NAMDEnergy is two fold of the counterpart of MMPBSA.py.
> I don't know whether there is difference of scaling factor between these
> two methods in calculating VDW and electrostatic energy. Would you like to
> give me some help? Thanks !
>

> Best wishes
>
> Yours Sincerely
>
> Duan Baogen