Re: [AMBER] TI alpha-beta glucose Glycam06h

From: Kepa K. Burusco <kekoburgo.yahoo.es>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 11:32:35 +0000 (GMT)

[28-I-2013]

Hi Thomas,

Thank you very much for your help. Actually I was aware of the meaningless -in a physical sense- of the intermediate steps in a TI / FEP calculation. However, the unfavorable difference in energy (for the expected solvating stabilization) was so strange that I thought that maybe something was wrong. Also, I didn't expected that the unbalanced internal energies during the process might somehow compensate the solvating term. I will run the calculation again activating the DVDL energy decompostion to check the breakdown.

Anyway, I still have a couple of doubts:

1) According to the amber manual, the "idecomp" options to switch on the DVDL breakdown are "=1" and "=2". The first option adds the 1-4 non bonded energies to the internal energies, and the second option to the EEL and VDW. In my particular case, it seems that the best option would be selecting "idecomp=2" (not sure anyway). Actually, I'm wondering in what situations is better so select option 1 or 2. Could you please give any advice/reference about this?

2) At the beginning I was running my tests in two different ways: In the first one, I switched off/on ALL the charges in the glucose molecule, and in the second one (like the example given in the tutorial), I only switched off/on the charges on the specific mutated atoms. This meaning, in the second case, that removing the charges only in certain atoms produced a formal charge in the residue creating an ion during the intermediate steps of the TI transformation. I have read that ions in solvent MD calculations under periodic boundary conditions may lead to some artifacts when lattice-sum methods are employed (J. Phys. Chem. B 2004, 108, 774-788). In my case the situation is even worse because I am creating an unbalanced net formal charge in the unit cell, therefore the artifacts in the energy and also the conformational exploration can be really non-negligible. So, do you think it is better to switch off/on all the charges in the molecule as I do rather
 than only the charges in the mutated atoms as in the tutorial?

Any help will be very welcome.

Kepa K.